Full course description
The Course: Celebrate the Year of St. Joseph by learning from Pope St. John Paul II and Pope Francis. This is a self-paced study of two key papal documents: John Paul II's Apostolic Exhortation on the Person and Mission of St. Joseph Redemptoris Custos and Pope Francis' Apostolic Letter on Saint Joseph Patris Corde. Can be taken as an individual self-study or taken together with others in a group. Course includes Lectio Divina exercises, short pre-recorded video lectures, questions for personal reflection or group discussion, and links to recommended resources for further study. Log in whenever is convenient and complete at your own pace.
The Teacher: Dr. John Gresham has more than 20 years experience teaching lay people, seminarians and others at Franciscan University of Steubenville, Paul VI Catechetical Institute and Kenrick-Glennon Seminary in St. Louis, MO, Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit, and The Institute for Catholic Studies and Formation in the Diocese of Venice Florida. His teaching style is both informative and transformative, seeking to engage the head and move the heart.
- New insights about St. Joseph that I can directly apply to my life and that are of clear and immediate benefit. Dr. Gresham obviously has a sense of the times, of what spiritual growth people need today, right now.
- The teaching was simple yet challenging in that it invited us to pray using the Bible and the teachings of the Church and delving into the course as deeply as we could.
- I like the accessibility right here in my home. Having lecture, video, readings available to me. I could do the class at my own leisure-no pressure
- All the elements together worked to make a very harmonious course. I thought the questions were very well put together, and the video presentation was excellent. The course had all the elements of a very well balanced "professional' course.
- I believe the strengths of the course were the instructional videos and the readings. They were pertinent and to the point
- Welcome Module: Introduction to Course and Orientation to Canvas Online Classroom
- Module 1: Annunciation to St. Joseph and his Response of Faith
- John Paul II, Redemptoris Custos paragraphs 1-6
- Module 2: The Fatherly Mission of St. Joseph
- John Paul II, Redemptoris Custos paragraphs 7-16
- Module 3: St Joseph as Husband, Worker and Contemplative
- John Paul II, Redemptoris Custos paragraphs 17-27
- Module 4: St. Joseph: Patron of the Church
- John Paul II, Redemptoris Custos paragraphs 28-32
- Module 5: Fatherly Heart of St. Joseph
- Pope Francis, Patris Corde
- Want to Learn More? Links to recommended online and print resources
- Conclusion Module
Cost: There is a $35 course fee, payable when you register using PayPal or credit card.